The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by  G.W. Dahlquist
Subscription to book - did it work?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Life and how to play it

Well, we’ve been rummaging around in our brains this week, trying to deal with all the technology – the blogs in particular. A wonderful way of getting in touch with people without bombarding them with sales talk but it is a bit of a slog – there’s all the SEO and feeds etc to consider. I’m beginning to think that html is just a manifestation of the inner workings of my brain –chaotic gobbledegook. One very nice guy has offered me a few lessons. A few lifetimes might be needed, me thinks. It’s all so fast and cerebral but I do know the old brain has to get wrapped around it eventually.

That’s the beauty of books….they exist at a decent speed…..pick them up and put them down and make a cup of tea and unlike software/technology they are unlikely to have changed by the time you pick them up again.

I was walking (in a leisurely “I shouldn’t be in here because I have enough books already/ I can’t afford to buy any anyway/I’ll just have a quick shifty along the shelves while I’m here” way) through Waterstones last year and just by chance noticed a very, very slim book tucked away in the Mind Body Spirit section. I always go for the cover first and this was colourful! It’s also very tempting to see very slim books because the mindset goes ‘Ah, that won’t take long to read and at that size it’s probably quite cheap!’ I was right on all counts with this book. Even more remarkable is that it was first published in 1925, reached its 42nd reprinting in 1998 and is still going strong. Now that’s endurance!

It looks as though the publisher, C W Daniel Company Ltd now comes under the umbrella of Random House…..but I’ve checked and the book is still available. Worth checking out if life is being a bit tricky. “The Game of Life and how to play it” by Florence Scovel-Shinn.